top of page

Moving With Pets

Moving with Pets

When you go new places with DRN Moving, we want every member of your family to be at ease. We are especially sensitive to moving with dogs, cats, and other household pets. The secret to pet relocation is planning. Follow these pointers and, if you have a question, ask your DRN Moving Representative.

Before You Move

Know the pet laws and regulations of the state you are moving to. You can get these from the state's Veterinary Office or Department of Agriculture. (See links at the bottom of this page.) For example, if you own a wolf, monkey, big cat, or any large, exotic animal, you will likely need a special permit.

Collar and ID Tag.

It's a good idea to have a microchip in your pet. If your pet can wear a collar, put one on it and attach an ID tag. (For birds, put the tag on a leg band.) The tag should include the pet's name, your name, and the destination address. Most states require a rabies tag for dogs and cats, and for some exotic animals. Check with your veterinarian or animal-control agency for your state's requirements (see links below).

Health Certificate.

Most states require a health certificate for dogs; many states require one for cats and other pets as well. The certificate must be issued by a licensed veterinarian and be no more than 10 days old. Up-to-date inoculation records should accompany it. Check with your veterinarian or animal-control agency for the state's requirements.


You may need to purchase a permit before your exotic pet can enter your new home state. Ask your veterinarian to help with the application process.

Next, check with the City Clerk's office in your new town to find out about local ordinances. Leash laws and licensing are common. So are limits on the number of pets per household. Zoning laws may prohibit certain animals, such as goats, pigs and chickens, in residential areas. If you are moving to an apartment or condo, make sure your pet is allowed before you move in.

Many communities do not permit cats, dogs, aquariums and exotic pets (iguanas, venomous snakes, tarantulas, ferrets, etc.). Get your pet's health records from your veterinarian. The information will help your new veterinarian provide good care. And keep a photograph of your pet, in case the animal gets lost.

bottom of page